Monday, January 24, 2005

Big Meels

I forgot to mention that my pad Thai and be's shrimp pad sew ew from our dinner on the 21st were the best we've ever had from Dow Thong. Maybe it's because we actually ate there as opposed to delivery. Maybe the chef on Friday night is awesome. Whatever the reason, our dishes were very tasty. It's always very good, but on the 21st: yum yum!

O wanted to take us out for lunch today, so we bundled up and trudged through the snow to Lite Bites Grill on the corner of Steinway and Broadway in Astoria. It's a diner-y type breakfast/sandwich/burger/salad place that replaced the cursed restaurant not too long ago. This was my second meal at Lite Bites and both times the food was above average. My simple grilled cheese was perfectly made, my curly fries were very tasty and my root beer was crisp and refreshing. be really enjoyed his "specialty sandwich" and O seemed to like his burger. I'd choose Lite Bites over CUP Diner for the food, but the atmosphere and desserts are better at CUP.

Afterwards, be and i shoveled out his car (the snow was past my knees in one snowdrift!). We did a little cleaning and i finished my knit glove things.

For dinner be was tempted to try to make paneer (fresh cheese) but we didn't have the necessary ingredients (milk) or implements (cheesecloth). Instead, we found a recipe for a nutty cream sauce from Flavors of India, which sounded similar to the sauce for paneer muttar dhingra at Madras Cafe - be's most favorite dish. He ground up almonds and heated them with a pint of Silk Cream and spices, and cooked it with cauliflower and peas. The dish was slightly sweet and very yummy, but next time we should use de-skinned almonds. I made plain rice and a pot of dal from red lentils. I used to make this dish all the time in college but haven't in a few years (for some dumb reason). Making it, i remembered how good and flavorful it was; i love the mustard seeds, crushed chiles, ginger, cilantro, squeeze of lemon and the ground spices all held together with the lentils, which cook down and get soupy. Perfect for a cold day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home