Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sweet & Sara Kicks Major Ass!


I am in love with these Sweet & Sara marshmallows. I'm forcing myself to a daily limit of only two coconut marshmallows or else the whole package would've been gone days ago. Unfortunately for me, be is in love with them too. I guess the only option is to order more!

As a kid, i ate marshmallows but they laid quite low on the candy-love scale. I didn't really like Mallow Cups but ate them anyway, didn't really enjoy toasted coconut covered marshmallows but yes, ate them anyways... the exception was Peeps, which i totally despised. I never liked the ultra fluffiness, the way they squished in the mouth -- it reminded me of the way the aliens on V would eat those soft-looking mice. I did, however, love Rice Krispies treats and made them often.


When i went vegetarian in January 1992, giving up marshmallows was not a big deal. The only exception was those Rice Krispies treats but ever since the discovery of Fluff, i've satisfied my cravings. (Perhaps i've even overdosed on Fluff as i haven't touched that Fluff tub in the pantry for quite a while!) [FYI Fluff is vegetarian but not vegan; i'm going to soon check out some vegan marshmallow creme brands.]

Now as for actual marshmallows, i missed out on trying the vegan brand that popped into Whole Foods a few years back. When i first saw them, it was during the whole "homemade" marshmallow craze and since i wasn't that into marshmallows, i wasn't quick to buy a package. Then seemingly overnight they disappeared. I noticed their absence once we bought a charcoal grill and got hit with s'mores cravings. But after viewing these videos (part one, part two) it all made sense. (Short version: seemingly vegan jel used by indie marshmallow companies was tested and found to contain animals, manufacturer disappeared after being found out.) The videos then focus on Sara Sohn's quest to create a truly delicious vegan marshmallow.

Okay, not only are these the BEST marshmallows i've ever had, they're vegan, from a small independent company, and owned and operated by a vegan Asian American woman from Queens! If your natural food store stocks Sweet & Sara marshmallows you should run out a get some immediately! I've already written my local stores in Philadelphia but until they get on the ball, i'm ordering from Vegan Essentials or buying in New York. YES they are that good. I didn't think i really liked marshmallows until now!

The coconut marshmallows are absolutely incredible. The coconut isn't overly toasted and dry like most other brands. The interior is creamy, soft, firm-pillowy and nicely sweet. Seriously, i could eat a whole box in a sitting. The vanilla marshmallows have a strong vanilla flavor and seem a bit sweeter to me. I love these as well but prefer the coconut ones when eating straight out of the package. I've been trying to grill for two weekends now but have been rained out both times! So we haven't had a chance to roast the vanilla ones to make s'mores. I know they're going to be amazing and cannot wait!

Serious props to Sweet & Sara for the best marshmallows ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home